Forward Motion

Forward Motion - Fletcher DeLancey This review is for the entire Past Imperfect series of books 1 to 5. I've known about this series for years, but just never got around to reading it, because...well, its fan fiction, and in a fandom I'm not particularly into. Add to that the epic length--according to Calibre, it all comes out to about 5000+ pages--about 20 lesfic books long. I don't think I'd have started it if I knew that figure beforehand, lol. It took me over 3 weeks to finish the series but what a ride it was.

For those who are unfamiliar with the series, Voyager is a spaceship from 24th century earth on a routine mission that was flung halfway across the universe by an energy wave (actually its just around 70,000 light years but it might as well be considering our puny human lifespans). The crew have been trying to get home to earth ever since. The five books chronicle the second half of their journey home.

Despite being set in space and involving futuristic technology and time travel, this isn't a hardcore sci-fi tale. It is, at its heart, a lesbian romance, or three. A good portion of the books are devoted to the development of the romances, the inevitable drama, misunderstandings, talking it over and making-up...lots of making-up! :) And of course where can one find such a thorough demonstration of a futuristic pleasure device that takes up an entire chapter--only in a lesfic romance!

The most impressive aspect of the books is that even with the romantic focus, the author managed to come up with such a coherent and well-thought out overall plot that for me, was much better than the TV series on which it was based on. Most lesfic suffer from plot holes huge enough to swallow entire worlds, but here the author painstakingly crafted very credible scenarios where actions in the first books impact events that occur books later. The action scenes are very well paced and executed. Many times, the crew and our heroines teeter on the brink of death and once, even topple over entirely--resulting in one of the most gut-wrenching scenes in lesfic. The whole diverse cast of characters is excellently and consistently drawn. The author also has the uncanny ability to delve deep into the psyche of her heroines and dig up some wonderful angst, guilt, or whatever emotions they'd kept buried deep inside. I could have sworn she's a psychologist/psychiatrist on the side. Granted, there were a few instances where she got carried away and the exchanges were excessively long winded, and sometimes there was just a little too much hand-wringing, but overall, the dialogue is some of the best I've ever read.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the author, Ms. Fletcher Delancey, for such an amazing work of fiction. I've been totally immersed in the world you've created this past month, and what a wonderful world to be lost in. Not many writers would care to spend so much attention and forethought on what is ultimately free fiction, and I hope you get to publish your own original epic some day!